Monday, December 12, 2016

A Season Full of Awards: The Golden Globes ~ Nominations


Picture ~ Drama
Hacksaw Ridge
Hell or High Water
Lion
Manchester By the Sea
Moonlight

So...my first thought was 'maybe they didn't see Silence' and then I read that they did so apparently they just really didn't like it, which is odd since they usually fawn all over Scorsese.  But, there is a lot of weird stuff happening all over these nominations.  Lion shows up a lot here, which was a touch unexpected, and I think both Hell or High Water and Hacksaw Ridge are cemented firmly in this race now.

Picture ~ Comedy/Musical
20th Century Women
Deadpool
Florence Foster Jenkins
La La Land
Sing Street

I did NOT see Deadpool coming, but Sing Street is such an awesome surprise.  Just saw it last night and I'm currently IN LOVE!

Director
Damien Chazelle for La La Land
Tom Ford for Nocturnal Animals
Mel Gibson for Hacksaw Ridge
Barry Jenkins for Moonlight
Kenneth Lonergan for Manchester By the Sea

Ok, things are starting to get a little weird now, considering that Ford shows up here (just wait for all the Nocturnal Animals love) but the rest I sort of saw coming (didn't count on Jenkins, but he's doing VERY well this season).  Gibson...could be headed to the Oscars?

Screenplay
Hell or High Water
La La Land
Manchester By the Sea
Moonlight
Nocturnal Animals

Nocturnal Animals showing up everywhere here is strange for the sole reason that it just feels so 'dead' as far as AMPAS is concerned.  In fact, I don't see it snagging a single nomination, especially not for Screenplay.  The rest are on their way to the Oscars, for sure.

Supporting Actress
Viola Davis for Fences
Naomi Harris for Moonlight
Nicole Kidman for Lion
Octavia Spencer for Hidden Figures
Michelle Williams for Manchester By the Sea

I don't know what to make of Hidden Figures.  Is it even in this race?  Spencer and Monae seem to be splitting decisions and not in a good way.  It's either one or the other, not both, which leads me to believe that neither will make it with AMPAS.

Supporting Actor
Mahershala Ali for Moonlight
Jeff Bridges for Hell or High Water
Simon Helberg for Florence Foster Jenkins
Dev Patel for Lion
Aaron Taylor-Johnson for Nocturnal Animals

Poor Michael Shannon.  The best reviews of the entire cast of his film and what looked like a surefire critics darling and a) he loses all the critics awards to Ali and b) be gets snubbed with the Globes in favor of his co-star.  And who the hell is Simon Helberg.  Ball was seriously dropped here.  Is Neeson even getting nominated?  They could have went with Foster or Sarsgaard or Hedges.  This is a very weird lineup.

Lead Actor ~ Drama
Casey Affleck for Manchester By the Sea
Joel Edgerton for Loving
Andrew Garfield for Hacksaw Ridge
Viggo Mortensen for Captain Fantastic
Denzel Washington for Fences

The first real Hanks snub of the season and I'm seriously starting to think that both Edgerton and Garfield are getting Oscar noms in favor of Hanks.

Lead Actor ~ Comedy/Musical
Colin Farrell for The Lobster
Ryan Gosling for La La Land
Hugh Grant for Florence Foster Jenkins
Jonah Hill for War Dogs
Ryan Reynolds for Deadpool

The fact that Russell Crowe was snubbed is heartbreaking, even if I saw it coming.  His comedic timing and chemistry with Gosling (who could have been double nominated and probably should have) was a thing of real beauty.  That being said, Farrell popping up is glorious.

Lead Actress ~ Drama
Amy Adams for Arrival
Jessica Chastain for Miss Sloane
Isabelle Huppert for Elle
Ruth Negga for Loving
Natalie Portman for Jackie

This is the only category I predicted 5/5.  I called the Chastain nom.  They love to reach out to every possible star they can, and she made sense.  

Lead Actress ~ Comedy Musical
Annette Bening for 20th Century Women
Lily Collins for Rules Don't Apply
Hailee Steinfeld for The Edge of Seventeen
Emma Stone for La La Land
Meryl Streep for Florence Foster Jenkins

LOL, didn't Lily Collins get...bad reviews?  I bet Steinfeld wishes this were a weaker year, because her reviews could have carried her to a Ellen Page style nom (she's already an Oscar nominee), but Stone is taking this in a walk and both Bening and Streep have their claws in that Oscar nom over Steinfeld, who simply won't happen.

Score
Arrival (Johann Johannsson)
Hidden Figures (Benjamin Wallfisch, Pharrell Williams & Hans Zimmer)
La La Land (Justin Hurwitz)
Lion (Hauschka & Dustin O'Halloran) 
Moonlight (Nicholas Britell)


I love seeing La La Land included all over the place because I was afraid the beautiful music would be shunned due to the song heavy soundtrack.  I don't know what to make of all the Moonlight attention in this category.  Is it happening?

Song

'Can't Stop The Feeling!' from Trolls
'City of Stars' from La La Land
'Faith' from Sing
'Gold' from Gold
'How Far I'll Go' from Moana

You nominated Sing Street for Picture and...don't include a single song when practically every one is better than the five you nominate?  This is just plain stupid.

Animated Film
Kubo and the Two Strings
Moana
My Life as a Zucchini 
Sing
Zootopia

I didn't expect them to love Sing so much.  

Foreign Film
Divines
Elle
Neruda
The Salesman
Toni Erdmann

We are starting to see a real consensus.

23 comments:

  1. Hell or High Water is playing near me, so I'll have to see what all the fuss is about.
    The lack of Scorsese love is surprising! Hopefully Silence is not another Kundun (1997) which not many people talk about anymore.
    I enjoyed Toni Erdmann, and I'd call it the frontrunner,if only for the clean sweep at the recent European Film Awards

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha, I asked in the other post/comment how Toni Erdmann was and I'm happy to see you liked it. It's one of my most anticipated of the year (sadly it won't reach me until Feb.).

      Delete
  2. I actually preferred Aaron Taylor-Johnson in Nocturnal Animals to Michael Shannon in the same movie, so I'm thrilled to see him nominated.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm very interested to see this film for myself...

      Delete
  3. A whole lotta wtf here but at the same time I really don't mind surprises, at least it shows the guild's are learning I suppose. Have GOT to see Moonlight, and it seems like Silence might just too uncomfortable for certain people, I dunno haha. I am surprised to see a lack of Love & Friendship Live By Night tho. How odd.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I still feel like Silence will pop up kind of everywhere with Oscar. It'll be the surprise of the season.

      Delete
  4. I'm surprised and sorry to not see Sally Field get a nod for Hello, My Name is Doris. The movie was only okay but she was terrific and I'd rather see some love thrown her way instead of Meryl Streep-who is good but hardly needs yet another nomination.

    Glad to see Colin Farrell someone who is usually overlooked.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Field and Sarandon is appears were snubbed...which is a shame since their reviews were quite good (much better than Collins).

      Delete
  5. Bridges over Foster is still bullshit but whatever. I've already accepted they're going to push the established "legendary" actor instead of the underrate one.

    I'm glad Edgerton is in for Loving. I just saw that today.

    Hollywood's Deadpool boner is amusing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bridges is getting that Oscar nom.

      Edgerton better get his.

      I still haven't watched Deadpool...

      Delete
  6. Nice omsee Colin Farrell here and I am not surprised at all for all the love of Hacksaw Ridge because of the content and they are now ready to forgive Mel Gibson. I can't wait to see La-La Land and I do love the comedy with Russell Crowe but I knew it would never be. Nominated which is a shame since it is such a fun comedy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Farrell was GREAT...but that Crowe snub hurts.

      Delete
  7. I'm happy Aaron Taylor-Johnson got a nod but I'm not happy about the fact that Michael Shannon got snubbed. Jonah Hill over Russell Crowe? I'm with you on this dude.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yeah yeah yeah, Golden Globe nominations, blah blah... YOU FINALLY SAW SING STREET!!! The year's most adorable movie, I love it so! It's currently my #3 of the year, behind The Lobster and La La Land (which is FUCKING GLORIOUS).

    But back to the matter at hand... I called Sing Street getting into Comedy/Musical, but the lack of nominations for ANY of its songs is mind-boggling. What is this "Gold" movie they nominated?!?

    It's not a great movie but I LOVE the Deadpool nomination for Comedy/Musical. Lord knows no one else is going to go there in a major category, and reading it made me snort my coffee yesterday morning, which was a nice way to start the work day.

    Nothing can make me see Hacksaw Ridge. NOTHING.

    Edgerton, Farrell, and Grant getting in their respective categories were the acting nominations that made me happiest - they're both so underappreciated in general and they're great, low-key performances.

    Nocturnal Animals, though. WTF. I like that movie less and less whenever I think about it (which thankfully isn't so much anymore, but...). Taylor-Johnson is good in it, but there were MUCH better supporting performances elsewhere in the year.

    And last and least, JONAH FUCKING HILL?!?!? SERIOUSLY?!? Over Russell Crowe AND Ryan Gosling in The Nice Guys? Or Ferdia Walsh-Peelo in Sing Street? Or... LITERALLY ANY OTHER LEAD MALE IN A COMEDY?!?!? Like, even as star-fucking, that one makes no sense.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, yeah, yeah, blah, blah, SING STREET WAS EVERYTHING!!!!!

      The lack of noms for the songs is BULLSH*T. Drive it Like You Stole It and To Find You are my two favorite movie songs of the year. Just...ALL THE FEELS!!!!

      I need to see Nocturnal Animals simply because it's been so polarizing and I need to weigh in on this.

      Delete
  9. The best song and animated film categories are the most annoying for me. Sing Street so deserved a nomination that I can't believe it was snubbed. As for animated film, I can tell from the trailers alone that Sing isn't even in the same category as the anime Your Name. It better get an Oscar nom or I will be seriously miffed.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't think Your Name will happen, when My Life as a Zucchini and The Red Turtle have taken all the 'foreign animated film' attention.

      Delete
  10. These noms are such a joke. I love that Jessica Chastain got nominated for Miss Sloane and Moonlight got expected love. But no Arrival, Jackie, or Nocturnal Animals for Motion Picture-Drama? Simon Helberg who got terrible reviews over Lucas Hedges who has "star-is-born" reviews? And don't even get me started on Sally Field missing out for Hello, My Name Is Doris.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Globes are usually questionable...to be honest.

      Delete
  11. I'm starting to think Hacksaw Ridge is happening and Liam Neeson isn't. :( Farrell! Sing Street!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Poor Liam Neeson. This was supposed to be his year!

      Delete
  12. Thank you for sharing valuable information nice post,I enjoyed reading this post.

    แตกใน xxx

    ReplyDelete